rae's CODEPINK road journal

Sunday, May 08, 2005

Mother's Day in Sacramento

Sunday, May 8th is Mother's Day and my mom and I go to Sacramento to participate in the action that Sam has coordinated with Natalie and others to mourn the loss of troops and innocent civilians and to call for an end to the war and to bring home the National Guard. The sky pours rain as we moan and wail and declare our solidarity in peace. The action draws over 50 people and is a beautiful demonstration of courage and conviction against war. I meet a midwife and grandmother who speaks very eloquently for peace. Bobbie sings Raging Grannies anti-war tunes. I am very grateful to my mom for spending this day with me. We share a meal together after the event at the local grocery co-op. Some punk eggs Sam's truck.

Months later, we find out that the National Guard has developed a surveillance unit and they "launched" their peace group activity spying by sneaking info about this event. We get national press attention and generate a lot of noise around the absurdity of this latest infringement of citizens' rights.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home