rae's CODEPINK road journal

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Liz Rivera-Goldstein


Liz called me about two weeks before the Donne di Pace trip to invite me to come on the tour. I have known Liz for almost a year through the counter-recruitment movement. Throughout this time I have been inspired by her dedication to working for peace, and she and I have had meaningful conversations about our challenges in finding a balance between work and self-care. Granted I did reconnaissance work before coming on this tour, but I still consider my decision to go on the trip to be partially a leap of faith based on my trust in Liz. Every moment I spent with Liz in Italy confirmed in me the sense that she is one of the trustworthiest, strong, and inspiring people I have ever met.

In her talks, Liz speaks about the counter-recruitment movement in the US and why it is important that kids know the truth about the military. Liz tells her personal story about her childhood suffering, her journey as a midwife, which led her to realize that peace begins with birthing babies in a non-violent way—at home and not at the hospital, and her work with her children. Liz home-schooled both of her children, and as a school project for them, she helped them start a local group called Teen Peace in their hometown of Port Townsend, Washington. In this group, rather than give her own political opinion, Liz poses provocative questions to the kids and teaches them what it means to be a conscientious objector. Liz speaks about the rift between youth and Vietnam-era activists within the peace movement. Liz says that the future is in the hands of the youth who refuse to fight.

Liz often talks about the role of mothers in the making of global peace. She tells me, “Mothers are amazing; don’t get us mad!” Indeed, Liz is a remarkable woman, a phenomenal spirit, and I look forward to continuing to work with her.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home