rae's CODEPINK road journal

Friday, October 22, 2004

Ritz, Dog Mauling, and Rain... Oh My!

NOTE: Preceding days to be added VERY SOON!

Today was my third day of canvassing for the New Voters Project... and what a day it was. I woke up to light streaming in through the blinds of the basement bachelor pad and all sorts of foul exclamations came to mind as I realized that my cell phone alarm hadn't gone off (thanks to a late night text message that blocked the sound on the alarm) and had thus missed the bus to Milwaukee. No vigiling for Codepink. No Kerry speaking event. No working for GOTV in Milwaukee. No fish fry with Natalia and Wes. Alas, Madison worked all elements of fate to get me to stay; the universe would not see me leave so soon.

I went to work at the Madison office for another day and drove a crew out to the westside. My turf was in an uber-rich area (read: driveways as long as minute-long distances between houses). Beautiful hilly area, to be sure- tall green pines and deciduous trees pregnant with dark red and violent neon shades of leaves, some already ebbing over and spilling their girth onto streets and pathways, creating yellow brick roads and mosaic patterns on the black tarmack. I went door to door and met lots of friendly parents reporting mostly that their kids were away at college and definitely voting.

BUT, one driveway I walked up yeilded an unforseen surprise: All of a sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, two large irish setter/golden retreiver looking dogs emerged in full force- barking and foaming at the mouth. I thought, "alright, it's cool, just getting attacked by some very territorial dogs," and I looked down at the ground and backed away VERY slowly, with the accompaniment of my complimentary spirit ;-)

The rest of the day was wet and I contacted a lot of parents whose kids were away at college. Then Samantha and I went driving around canvassing door to door with wheels as the rain continued outside, and we tried to hunt down seemingly invisible apartment complexes.

That night, the whole New Voters crew went out dancing at this club called the Majestic. Josh got us all in for free since the owner is very supportive of the young voting cause and we rocked the dance floor and the tequila shots. The Madison New Voters Project kids are definitely rockstars.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home